Monday, August 11, 2008

Stevens beginnings

So James & I were married August 4, 2000 in the Mt. Timpanogos Utah LDS temple. We met in September of 1997 at auditions for Showtime Company, a singing/dancing group at Ricks College. He thought I was a naughty girl, I thought he was a nerd:) However, after our first one-on-0ne conversation, I knew he was a kindred spirit and felt strongly that he would play a big role in my life. We were both music majors and happened to be in almost all the same classes as well as Showtime together so we spent almost everyday, all day together, studying, rehearsing, and chatting. He had a big silver truck which we called the "Silver stallion" and I didn't have a car so he also drove me everywhere. All the while he had a steady girlfriend who was attending another University and I was dating the Ricks College baseball team and had a crush on some Cello player named James. About 1/2 way through the year he and his girlfriend broke up. By then I was willing to admit that I was falling hard for him and I was thrilled to find out he felt the SAME!! So breaking Showtime rules, we started dating and did so until about 6 months later when he left for his LDS mission to Florida, and I left to San Diego for mine. We kept in weekly contact through letters-paper & pen not email- and about a year after we returned home we were married. I sobbed through the entire ceremony out of pure joy that I was FINALLY marrying him. 4 years is kind of a long time when you live the law of Chastity! That's my nutshell version of how it all started.
There are so many other experiences and little details that helped give us a good foundation and that led me to James. To mention a couple of key experiences, I had been engaged to be married the previous year and God said no so inside of me was an extremely broken heart. 6 months after that, my sister Heidi was killed in a car accident. Yet another heartbreak and all the while I was in Showtime Company performing my heart out when I had no heart left to give. I was really struggling with the idea of even doing Showtime again because I was so emotionally exhausted. I was sure I didn't have the energy for the demands of the stage. As auditions approached I felt the Spirit, maybe it was Heidi's, shoving me there and for 2 reasons I am so grateful I went. 1. James. and 2. I had the privilege of sharing my Heidi story with audiences all over the world and singing a song about it. That was probably THE most healing thing I could have done and I am forever thankful for that opportunity. The most interesting thing about it all was how much James reminded me of Heidi as I got to know him. They are both tidy & detail oriented. Heidi was a gifted artist and so is James. Heidi was a musical genius. When there was tension in our home, and even when there wasn't, she would sit at the piano for hours and create beautiful music or duplicate a movie theme. James did the same thing. I remember the first time I heard him play the piano I literally thought Heidi was there and I had to look to see who is really was. They have the same style. They both look a little different than the rest of their family. Kind of cute. Anyway, I thank God everyday that he led me to James because he really does make me whole! "He complete's me:)"

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Chelsea, you were at Ricks in '97? How long were you there? I was there from 97-99. Wish I would have known

Camille said...

That is so sweet!!! I'm so glad you posted this. I sure miss all you Appersons!!! Especially Heidi!!!

Michelle said...

Hey Chelsea! Found your blog through Lizzy's. Wow, what an amazing, sweet story. You two make such a cute couple, too! If you ever dont mind and get the chance, I would love to hear the song you sang about Heidi. I ditto Camille on the missing you Apperson's!