
About 2 weeks after we got married we were both off and running in school; James at BYU studying Media Music and me at UVSC studying Modern Dance. We both graduated in the 2002-2003 schoolyear. James participated in Concert Choir & Men's Chorus, & ended up in Vocal Point-a 9 man pop a capella group where he had a blast. He had academic scholarships and did well. With just a Bachelor's degree he was offered a teaching position at the University and transitioned from student to part-time faculty teaching private Songwriting & Synthesizer which he has taught ever since. A year later, he started as the Director of Vocal Point and continues to do that as well. It is really (everyone knows this) a pathetic salary but he can't beat the experience. He loves doing it! In school, I LOVED my classes, teachers, & classmates, and ended up on academic scholarships, the dance company (Synergy), and graduating with Honors; none of which I would have predicted. My education there was superb and I would have stayed longer if they had a 4 year program at the time. While in school I also worked with the SCERA & Hale Youth theater's, Acting Up!, and Orem High choreographing their musical's; Schoolhouse Rock, Joseph!, Honk, Fiddler on The Roof Jr., Superman, & My Fair Lady. I also got to play the role of Tiger Lily in Peter Pan:) among a few other musicals. I will cherish my Peter Pan & Honk memories most!
James still directs Vocal Point and has done incredible things with them one highlight being their international championship win in New York in 2006. On the side he has been doing writing & arranging for local artists and businesses. He has an enormous mind and has the potential to do amazing work. He & I have some huge dreams that we hope to accomplish sooner than later so wish us luck!
I have done a couple small choreography projects since school and have taken some fun classes but nothing too intense since I had our son. I have been taking Speech Level Singing for about 2 years now, off and on, and started the certification teaching program a year and a half ago. In my narrow opinion it is the gospel truth when it comes to vocal technique and if someone wants to use their voice in a healthy way for a long time I highly reccommend it! Unfortunately God said no to that one but I have been teaching for the past year and that is by far the fastest way to sharpen your skills. Sorry if this is a boring narrative, I don't claim to be a great writer although sometimes I dream that I am!


No comments:
Post a Comment